8.05.2010

The power of a simple touch

I always tell people who don't have fibromyalgia but are trying to understand how it feels the story of my mom gently waking me up.  I had been having a terrible week, I was in loads of pain and even just having the blanket on me while I was sleeping was painful.  My mom knew that I was in a lot of pain so in the morning she came into my room to gently wake me up and see how I was doing.  She barely touched my knee but it hurt so bad I accidentally kicked her.  It felt like somebody had stabbed me in the leg. 
Even though those of us with fibromyalgia happen to be extremely sensitive to touch, I have learned that it is still important for our friends and families to touch us like they would if we did not have fibro, just maybe a little bit gentler.  I went through a period of time where people were afraid to touch me or hug me because they did not want to hurt me.  This lead to a horrible feeling of loneliness.  When we as humans are touched it helps release stress, and reminds us that somebody cares about us.  So for those of you who have friends or family with fibro make sure to give them a soft hug, or a little backrub, or even just a soft hand on the shoulder.
And for those of you with fibro, keep your head up.  Your not alone in this battle.  Gentle hugs to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment